Thursday, September 8, 2011

Improvisation in a Life Guard Training Class

Last week I was at a lifeguard training class with a friend of mine. I know that it might sound a bit silly going for lifeguard training when the summer is almost over but getting training for being a lifeguard was something that we always wanted to do.

It's not that I planned to get a job as a lifeguard for next summer at a public pool or beach or at an Olympic pool in a university, I'm far too old for that and I already have a full-time job, it's just that as a parent I think it's very important to know CPR and first aid. I do not have the time or the money to commit to a full on EMT course although I would like to, but nevertheless I think it very important to know the bare minimum about what to do in an emergency.

Anyway Susie and I always thought it would be cool to be a lifeguard and this youthful fantasy coupled with the responsible desire to know how to react to medical emergency was enough to get the 'ok' from my husband and go ahead with the course. So we went to that class and sat down with a bunch of other people and the teacher walks in. now I can go through the lesion and drag you kicking and screaming through the introductory lesion. But I know that is not the reason that you are reading this article. The reason is to see what the improvisation is all about so here goes

The teacher forgot to bring his dummy! I'm not taking about a dummy as in a stupid person, I'm talking about his CPR dummy. This was a big problem because if there is one thing that you need to have if you are going to give a class on CPR is a dummy to practice on. So we were sitting there trying to visualize what he was talking about and then it hit me! Way not use a mannequin! We were in a rented space that was on top of a clothing store and along the walls of the room that we were in were hanger racks and other store junk that you normal wouldn't pay attention to. So I raised my hand and suggested that we improve using the mannequins and the instructor thought it was a great idea!

What's important is what that thinking out of the box and having a can do approach is what makes situation bearable an gives you the edge you need to get things done despite the challenges involved


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment